Shop’s penny pinching has created blot on landscape
You report so many crimes committed round Tesco’s on Islington Green – two in last week’s issue (“Shopper is mugged at Tesco’s cashpoint” and “Mario foils masked raiders” and also one in St Peter’s Street, just round the corner – “Muggers foiled by champion kickboxer”).
The whole Islington Green area is so important in Islington South, and local people, as the Anderson’s Yard Campaign, were closely involved for 20 years in the planning process to ensure that everything north of the Green was what people wanted there and conformed historically and compatibly in this important site.
Then, with inordinate haste and no local involvement, Tesco’s got permission from the last council to replace their little garage, which had obviously been a “stalking horse”, with something much nastier on this other prominent and important side of the Green.
It has always been hideous and cheap looking and, because they made money by putting up flats above and beside the store they did not, in their greed, leave enough room for delivery lorries behind the store or for storage of rubbish in the large number of cages in front of it.
As well as being a hideous blot on an important borough landscape the cages are now apparently a hiding place for thieves to rob people using the cashpoint.
You may also want to watch:
The store does not engage enough protection from theft in what could have been an especially important area for Islington.
– Avis Saltsman Baldry, former chairwoman, Anderson’s Yard Campaign Group, Gerrard Road, N1.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London