Singer hoping TV show will turn her into star
AN up-and-coming Islington singer is set to appear on a major new TV show that could propel her to pop stardom. Electro-pop performer Scarlletta, of Chapel Market, Islington, will step into the limelight with a feature spot on Sky's Showbiz – the follow u
AN up-and-coming Islington singer is set to appear on a major new TV show that could propel her to pop stardom.
Electro-pop performer Scarlletta, of Chapel Market, Islington, will step into the limelight with a feature spot on Sky's Showbiz - the follow up to its hit reality show Pineapple Dance Studios.
And Scarlletta, real name Laura Duckworth, 22, is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Pineapple sensation Louie Spence, who will present Showbiz, to become its breakout star.
She said: "TV can change everything so quickly - it can make you very well known or you can be on it for five minutes and disappear. It's exciting and nerve-racking. I hope it will turn into a big thing but if it doesn't I'm still proud of what we're doing. The most important thing is the songs. If you're proud of them then that's the main thing."
You may also want to watch:
The singer - who performs in venues in Islington and Camden including the Albert and Pearl, in Upper Street, Islington, and Proud, in the Stables Market, Camden Town - will be among a cast of 20 wannabes hoping to make it big.
The Showbiz crew will tape the launch party for her new EP, which features the tracks Be My Bitch and Sinful, and the making of its music video - and will come back for more if she makes for good television.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
With her bold outfits and strong stage presence, the Swindon-born singer has been labelled Islington's answer to Lady Gaga - but she is determined to shake off the tag.
She said: "The judges seemed to really like me at the audition. They refer to me as the British Gaga with a twist which I find funny as, though we're both fairly theatrical, our music is miles apart. I'd love to break away from the whole Gaga thing and get the publicity that me and my band deserve."
The Gazette spoke to the songstress earlier in the year when she was en-route to a place in the final of Live & Unsigned 2010. She has since packed in her call centre day-job to focus full time on her music.
And she says the two sides of her personality - mild-mannered Laura Duckworth and outrageous alter-ego Scarlletta - have started to collide.
She added: "I used to dress up just to perform. Now I'm dressed up as Scarlletta all the time. It's become the normal me - but I'm still the same person."
The EP will be released on October 25.