Singhsburys has licence revoked for allegedly selling ‘crack pipes’ and drugs paraphernalia near children’s sweets
- Credit: Archant
A Seven Sisters Road store has had its licence revoked after it was accused of selling “crack pipes” and stocking drugs paraphernalia near children’s sweets.
A Seven Sisters Road store has had its licence revoked after it was accused of selling "crack pipes" and stocking drugs paraphernalia near children's sweets.
Islington's licencing sub committee imposed the maximum penalty within its powers at Singhsbury's licence review, despite store owner Tanjeet Gulati claiming he'd done nothing illegal and doesn't promote class A drug use.
Still, inspections of the shop raised fears illicit high-strength Polish beer and "crack pipes" were being sold to people with addictions, and that popper bottles with names like "Throb Hard", "Squirt' and "Hard Core" were stocked near the sweets section.
Councillors also objected to unlicensed beauty treatments allegedly being offered at the back of the store, and poor fire safety measures.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Gulati declined to comment.
Ahead of the review, Surendra Panchal, representing Mr Gulati, said: "He is a great trader and he is always trading well and cooperating with the responsible authorities. He is very well known within the community and is very helpful to the community."
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey