WSL: Bristol City 0 Arsenal 4
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Arsenal extended their perfect start to the WSL season to six games with a 4-0 win at Bristol City which put them three points clear at the top of the table.
Vivianne Miedema netted twice, with Jordan Nobbs and Danielle Van de Donk also on target, and the margin of victory could have been wider but for a string of fine saves by Sophie Baggaley.
Nobbs fired home from Leah Williamson’s cross on 13 minutes, with Nobbs then feeding Miedema to angle a shot into the net just before the break.
Baggaley denied Katie McCabe, Nobbs and Miedema either side of the interval, while Gemma Evans cleared off the line to thwart Van de Donk.
But Arsenal went 3-0 up when Miedema heading home her second, before another shot was parried and Dutch team-mate Van de Donk netted the rebound.
You may also want to watch:
Williamson said: “We got the early goal to settle everybody down but credit to Bristol because we knew they were going to be difficult to beat. The two goals we got at the end show we have a winning mentality and we still wanted more.
“Things are looking good for us at the moment and although you don’t want to get carried away, you don’t get in a position like we are so early in the season very often in your career, so we are enjoying it.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
“We have girls coming back from injury too and although I’m sure the New Year will have its dramas, we want to stay where we are and stay unbeaten for as long as we can.
Arsenal host Birmingham City next weekend and Williamson added: “The Birmingham game will round off what has been a hard spell for us during October. It won’t matter that we won today if we don’t win next week and I’m sure Birmingham will be looking at it the same way because of the form they are in.
“They are hard to beat and have won a few games 1-0 where they have defended and then only need to take one chance.
“I think they have changed the way they play in recent years and are now more of a ball-playing side, so it will be a different challenge to the one they have posed for us in the past.
“Other people can put different challenges in our way but ultimately it’s all about us and what we do. We are adaptable and I think we are capable of even more than people have seen from us so far.”
Arsenal: Van Veenendaal, Williamson, Bloodworth, Quinn, Mitchell (Samuelsson 65), McCabe, Evans, Van de Donk, Walti, Nobbs, Miedema. Unused: Peyraud-Magnin, Mead, Kuyken.
*To follow all of the action during the season and to buy tickets visit ticketstores.co.uk/fawsl.