Small Islington restaurant Liman tops TripAdvisor list of 17,400 London eateries
- Credit: Archant
A modest Mediterranean restaurant in Islington has become a tourist attraction after reaching number one on TripAdvisor’s list of the 17,400 best London eateries.
Liman in Penton Street, near Chapel Market, opened in June and has received five-star reviews on the world’s top travel website.
It is run by Berivan Battaloglu and her husband Niyazi, a chef who used to work at the Royal Albert Hall.
And his dishes have clearly won the hearts of diners – who have rated Liman the best restaurant in the capital.
Speaking to the Gazette, Berivan welcomed the accolade but said there was no time for celebration.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s nice because we’re a small business and don’t have the money for advertising,” she said. “We are very passionate but the pressure is just starting now. We need to keep the quality up.”
The young couple, both 33, knew they had to stand out if they were to be successful.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
Berivan continued: “I like to read and learn about business and believe you need to do something different from the others. I did the architecture for our restaurant and our decor is very modern.”
Jim Bearryman of Highbury has been there twice in the last week and believes it’s well worth its place at the top.
He said: “It’s very well run and the food is immaculate. I don’t know them from Adam but I went in last week and the food was outstanding.
“Anyone who goes in there will understand exactly why it’s the number one restaurant in London – you have to give it the top rating.”
Liman is a five-minute walk from Angel Tube station and offers takeaway and a set lunch menu at £6 for two courses.
View the menu at liman.co.uk.