Cally charity supporting youngsters into work celebrates second birthday
- Credit: Archant
A Cally charity offering training opportunities to disadvantaged young people celebrated it second birthday on Tuesday 19, February.
Spear Islington runs sessions at Hope Church St David, in Westbourne Road, for people aged 16-24 who aren’t in education, employment or training.
Since the centre opened in 2017, more than 140 young people have enrolled in the programme – and 75 per cent of those who completed the six-week employability course are in work a year later.
Matilda, 18, who lives in Islington, said: “I didn’t have the confidence to apply for any jobs. I found out about Spear online – I was really scared at first, but everyone was really friendly.
“It brought me out of my comfort zone and got me talking in front of people. As the programme went on I found it easier to talk in front of groups; I saw it for what it was; that they were just people rather than thinking of it as a scary situation and that they were going to judge me.
You may also want to watch:
Matilda is now working as a nursery assistant.
Participants at the Cally centre all come from the borough, and many are referred to the service by a job centre, mental health organisers, and probation services.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
Centre manager Emma West said: “In the next year we’re excited to expand our Employers network to be able to provide more excellent job opportunities.”