Cally charity supporting youngsters into work celebrates second birthday
- Credit: Archant
A Cally charity offering training opportunities to disadvantaged young people celebrated it second birthday on Tuesday 19, February.
Spear Islington runs sessions at Hope Church St David, in Westbourne Road, for people aged 16-24 who aren’t in education, employment or training.
Since the centre opened in 2017, more than 140 young people have enrolled in the programme – and 75 per cent of those who completed the six-week employability course are in work a year later.
Matilda, 18, who lives in Islington, said: “I didn’t have the confidence to apply for any jobs. I found out about Spear online – I was really scared at first, but everyone was really friendly.
“It brought me out of my comfort zone and got me talking in front of people. As the programme went on I found it easier to talk in front of groups; I saw it for what it was; that they were just people rather than thinking of it as a scary situation and that they were going to judge me.
You may also want to watch:
Matilda is now working as a nursery assistant.
Participants at the Cally centre all come from the borough, and many are referred to the service by a job centre, mental health organisers, and probation services.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
Centre manager Emma West said: “In the next year we’re excited to expand our Employers network to be able to provide more excellent job opportunities.”