Spurs to host Arsenal in Capital One Cup as north London rivals go head to head
Tottenham will host Arsenal in the third round of the Capital One Cup after the north London arch-rivals were pitted against each other in Tuesday’s draw.
The tie will take place at White Hart Lane on the week beginning September 21, and is likely to be scheduled for Wednesday 23 due to Yom Kippur, which begins on the Tuesday night.
Spurs head coach Mauricio Pochettino said: “We know that Arsenal are a very good team – they’re our rivals – but we’re playing at home so it’s a good opportunity for us and our fans.
“If you want to win the competition you need to win every game. I think it will be a very good match for us, an exciting game for ourselves and our supporters and we hope that we play well and win on the night.”
The Gunners visited Spurs – who reached last season’s final – at the same stage of the competition back in September 2010, with Arsene Wenger’s side winning the tie 4-1 after extra-time.
You may also want to watch:
Henri Lansbury gave Arsenal a 15th-minute lead and, although Robbie Keane levelled to leave the sides level at 1-1 after 90 minutes, the visitors then ran away with the game.
Samir Nasri netted two penalties in quick succession and Andrei Arshavin added further gloss to the scoreline.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Islington shooting victim named
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
Both clubs are waiting to find out who they will face in the group stage of their European competitions.
The Champions League draw takes place at 5.45pm on Thursday in Monaco, with Arsenal seeded in the second pot.
The Europa League draw, which includes Tottenham, then takes place at midday on Friday.