Spurs to host Arsenal in Capital One Cup as north London rivals go head to head
Tottenham will host Arsenal in the third round of the Capital One Cup after the north London arch-rivals were pitted against each other in Tuesday’s draw.
The tie will take place at White Hart Lane on the week beginning September 21, and is likely to be scheduled for Wednesday 23 due to Yom Kippur, which begins on the Tuesday night.
Spurs head coach Mauricio Pochettino said: “We know that Arsenal are a very good team – they’re our rivals – but we’re playing at home so it’s a good opportunity for us and our fans.
“If you want to win the competition you need to win every game. I think it will be a very good match for us, an exciting game for ourselves and our supporters and we hope that we play well and win on the night.”
The Gunners visited Spurs – who reached last season’s final – at the same stage of the competition back in September 2010, with Arsene Wenger’s side winning the tie 4-1 after extra-time.
You may also want to watch:
Henri Lansbury gave Arsenal a 15th-minute lead and, although Robbie Keane levelled to leave the sides level at 1-1 after 90 minutes, the visitors then ran away with the game.
Samir Nasri netted two penalties in quick succession and Andrei Arshavin added further gloss to the scoreline.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 7 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 8 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 9 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
- 10 Environment and equality at heart of council leader's new direction for Islington
Both clubs are waiting to find out who they will face in the group stage of their European competitions.
The Champions League draw takes place at 5.45pm on Thursday in Monaco, with Arsenal seeded in the second pot.
The Europa League draw, which includes Tottenham, then takes place at midday on Friday.