Islington church welcomes new vicar in online service for first time
- Credit: St Mary's Islington
A church in Islington welcomed a new vicar online for the first time.
St Mary’s on Upper Street appointed Reverend James Hughesdon as vicar in a virtual service on January 31 - the first of its kind for the Stepney Episcopal Area.
More than 150 people - including Bishop of Stepney, the Right Reverend Dr Joanne Woolway Grenfell - joined the service from home while Revd Hughesdon was at St Mary’s.
Revd Hughesdon said: "I am both honoured and delighted to be the new vicar at St Mary’s Islington.
"It’s a strange time to take up a new position but we have been made to feel so welcome by everyone and I’m excited to discover with the people of this church and this community all that God is calling us to."
You may also want to watch:
St Mary's plans to "properly welcome" Revd Hughesdon and his family at a service of celebration when coronavirus restrictions allow.
- 1 Low Traffic Islington coalition launched to support council's LTN roll-out
- 2 Seventh man charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 3 Open spaces, LTNs, vouchers, vaccinations and neonatal care
- 4 Plans to chop down 70-year-old Islington mulberry tree paused
- 5 WATCH: Air ambulance called to Islington flat fire
- 6 'This is the end of my political career': Richard Watts stands down
- 7 'Real disappointment' over uptake of Covid vaccine among care home staff
- 8 Islington churches boost congregation numbers despite lockdown
- 9 Women offered home test kits in bid to cut cervical cancer deaths
- 10 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer