Tea lights in doll’s house cause fire at trendy Shoreditch club
- Credit: Archant
Candles left lit inside a doll’s house have been blamed for a fire that caused damage to the ground floor and roof of a Shoreditch nightclub on Friday morning.
Fire engines from Shoreditch, Bethnal Green, Whitechapel and Dowgate fire stations attended the blaze thought to have broken out at Loungelover in Whitby Street at about 3.50am and took until 6am to get the fire under control.
More than 20 firefighters wearing breathing apparatus contained the fire to a kitchen area on the ground floor of the building. Around a quarter of the ground floor and part of the roof space was damaged by the blaze.
It is believed that tea lights left inside a wooden doll’s house were the most likely cause of the blaze.
A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.”
You may also want to watch:
Shoreditch Watch Manager Stuart Mackie, who was at the scene, said: “A member of the public raised the alarm and when fire crews arrived clouds of thick heavy smoke were pouring out of the roof.
“The fire started in the kitchen and spread along an air extraction system into the roof. The club was empty at the time and thankfully no one was injured.”
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 4 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 5 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 6 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 7 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 8 Islington district seal victory over Camden
- 9 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'