Vertonghen sidelined until January, but Foyth and Sanchez return
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino will have two of his South American centre backs available for this week’s derby with Arsenal
Tottenham Hotspur provided a mixed injury update ahead of Wednesday’s clash at Arsenal in the quarter-finals of the League Cup.
Spurs will visit Emirates Stadium for the second time this month hoping to reverse the 4-2 loss they suffered against Unai Emery’s team in the Premier League.
If the Lilywhites are to claim bragging rights on this occasion, they will have to do so without two players who started the previous encounter on December 2.
On Saturday, Spurs revealed Eric Dier needed surgery to remove his appendix after a bout of appendicitis.
You may also want to watch:
It saw the versatile midfielder miss the 1-0 victory over Burnley at Wembley Stadium and the club’s latest update confirmed he is continuing his recovery, but will not make a return to action until January.
Joining Dier on the treatment table is Jan Vertonghen, who suffered a thigh problem in the 1-1 draw at Barcelona on December 11.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe streets where you live?
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 9 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
After sitting out the triumph over Burnley, Spurs revealed this afternoon the Belgian will not come back for Tottenham until the New Year.
It is a huge blow for Mauricio Pochettino after working hard to protect Vertonghen on his return from a hamstring issue picked up back in September.
On a positive note, centre backs Juan Foyth and Davinson Sanchez are back training again and at least one will start against Arsenal this week.
Sanchez last featured for Spurs in the win over PSV on November 6, but has missed the past six weeks with a hamstring injury.
Foyth stepped up in the absence of both Vertonghen and Sanchez, but he also picked up a hamstring problem and last played in the 3-1 league success over Southampton on December 5.
Thankfully the two young defenders are available for selection again, although Spurs will definitely be without Mousa Dembele (ankle), Serge Aurier (groin) and Victor Wanyama (knee) for Wednesday’s tie.
Pochettino is likely to rotate his squad against Arsenal, but Harry Winks, Christian Eriksen and Heung-min Son should start after they were on the bench for Saturday’s game with Burnley.
Paulo Gazzaniga is also set to be included from the off and will hope to catch the eye again.