Teen arrested in Islington after knife found in pants
- Credit: Archant
A 15-year-old was arrested for having a knife in his underpants during a huge police swoop.
The youngster was held after being searched in Islington as part of the Met’s London-wide Big Wing operation.
Another teenager, 17, was arrested in the borough after officers found a loaded gun hidden in a moped outside his house.
Today’s operation, targeting knife crime, involved around 5,800 police officers – 140 arrests have been made so far.
Temporary Det Chf Sup Gordon Allison, Head of Trident, which leads the Met’s response to gang and serious youth violence, said: “We have seen significant reductions in both gun and knife crime in recent years, however we recognise that knife crime continues to have a considerable impact.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We support government proposals for tougher sentencing for knife crime offenders, and this week’s big wing gives us an opportunity to highlight some of our enforcement and prevention work.”
Comm Stephen Watson, leading today’s operation, said: “Knife crime cuts across several crime types such as robbery, burglary and gang crime. Work continues day in and day out alongside our partners to target those responsible but highly visible operations such as Operation Big Wing play a major part in the fight against all crime across London.”
- 1 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 2 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 3 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 4 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 5 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 6 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 7 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 8 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 9 Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visits the Whittington Hospital
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital