Teen arrested in Islington after knife found in pants
- Credit: Archant
A 15-year-old was arrested for having a knife in his underpants during a huge police swoop.
The youngster was held after being searched in Islington as part of the Met’s London-wide Big Wing operation.
Another teenager, 17, was arrested in the borough after officers found a loaded gun hidden in a moped outside his house.
Today’s operation, targeting knife crime, involved around 5,800 police officers – 140 arrests have been made so far.
Temporary Det Chf Sup Gordon Allison, Head of Trident, which leads the Met’s response to gang and serious youth violence, said: “We have seen significant reductions in both gun and knife crime in recent years, however we recognise that knife crime continues to have a considerable impact.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We support government proposals for tougher sentencing for knife crime offenders, and this week’s big wing gives us an opportunity to highlight some of our enforcement and prevention work.”
Comm Stephen Watson, leading today’s operation, said: “Knife crime cuts across several crime types such as robbery, burglary and gang crime. Work continues day in and day out alongside our partners to target those responsible but highly visible operations such as Operation Big Wing play a major part in the fight against all crime across London.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 4 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years