Tennis star Rafael Nadal takes over Angel Tube station
Tennis ace Rafael Nadal has replaced the Angel on an Olympic-themed Tube map.
Transport for London has produced a novelty map that sees past and present sporting stars take the place of station names.
Nadal’s great rival Roger Federer features as Old Street, while medal-winning basketball players, sprinters and sailors are also included in place of Islington stops.
Sports journalists Alex Trickett and David Brooks, who picked the names, said: “We love sport, we love lists and we love London, so what better challenge than to select 361 of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen and to fit them on to our iconic tube map.
“There were heated debates and a few late changes of heart, but we are happy with the result.”
You may also want to watch:
The map is being sold by TfL as a poster.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Upper Street coffee shop to start selling "quality" wine despite noise objections
- 3 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 4 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 5 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 6 Letter on Holloway Prison site development
- 7 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 8 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 In pictures: Pond-dipping, singing and mindfulness at Gillespie Park fun day