The Apple Cart Festival returns to Victoria Park over Jubilee weekend with big names in music and comedy
The Apple Cart, a family-friendly festival of music, comedy and cabaret, will return to Victoria Park for its second year on the Diamond Jubilee weekend – and children will get in for free.
The one-day party promises to be one of the summer’s most unique bashes when it takes over the east London park on Sunday June 3, and could be the perfect way to celebrate the Queen’s 60-year reign over the special four-day weekend.
A host of quirky Jubilee-themed antics are set to include flag waving time trials, a name that monarch medley contest and traditional village fete-style games, while even the most ardent republicans should find plenty to grab them, with dozens of acts performing across a multitude of tents and stages.
There will be music from Adam Ant, Billy Bragg, Gaz Coombes, Kid Creole & The Coconuts, Penguin Cafe, Gilles Peterson and many more, while the comedy tent will host some of the biggest names in the business, including Phill Jupitus, Sean Lock, Rich Hall and Shappi Khorsandi.
Cabaret, magic, storytelling and other child-friendly activities will round off the fun.
You may also want to watch:
The organisers, who are also the people behind the successful Field Day festival, which will be held the day before, say: “After a hugely successful first year last summer, The Apple Cart is set cement its reputation as a colourful festival of ideas that caters to adults and children alike. Adopting something of a melting pot ethos, it presents London with an entirely fresh, multi-disciplinary take on the festival experience: no other event in the capital has Turner prize winners and world class magicians and burlesque stars sit happily alongside arena-filling comedians and established music legends all on the same bill, on the same day.”
* Tickets are �35 plus booking fee, while entry for children aged 12 or younger costs nothing. Joint Field Day/Apple Cart tickets are available for �69.50. Visit www.theapplecartfestival.com for more or call the See Tickets box office on 0870 264 3333.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 6 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 10 Mental health charity announces arts award winner and new grants