The Arts Building: U+I wants to open retail space in Finsbury Park site
- Credit: Archant
The new owner of The Arts Building in Finsbury Park want to develop a large retail space on the ground floor of the premise.
U+I brought the 57,000 sq ft Morris Place site off John Jones in January for a fee rumoured to be in the £15million region.
It's now seeking planning permission to turn the office space and disused cafe unit on the ground floor into retail space.
The Walnut cafe occupied a ground floor unit in the building until last year, when it closed because owner Emma Duggan couldn't afford the rent. It's been empty since.
A U+I spokesperson said: "The Arts Building will incorporate a mix of uses to appeal to a broad range of businesses, from creative enterprises to high street brands.
You may also want to watch:
"The option to change the ground floor to retail would bring life to the street and offer valuable facilities for local people.
"With a surplus of vacant office space nearby, and more coming forward in other nearby developments currently on site, the plans would also create greater diversity in the local market."
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago