The Eight: Reindeer Monologues - Review
Leave the kids at home if you want to find out the hilarious and disturbing truths about Christmas, showing at the Above The Stag Theatre, Bressenden Place, SW1.
Billed as a rip-roaring Chrimbo comedy, Jeff Goode’s confessional-style expose of the reindeer world’s finest uncovers a raft of tales that would blow any kiddie’s mind.
Dasher, Prancer and Co. each reveal the skeletons in their cupboard as the rest sit behind, talk-show style.
In a decidedly sideways look at Christmas from the reindeer’s point of view, jokes rain like snowflakes from the boisterous characters as we discover the origins of the elves (saved from lives as towel boys in an Irish brothel), thoughts on “scene-stealing” kids in Hollywood Christmas movies, and the real persona behind that red and white uniform.
But as the show unravels into the second half, the jokes and froth give way under the subject matters’ considerable weight.
You may also want to watch:
Used as a mirror on humanity’s own underbelly, the reindeer spill forth a year’s worth of soap opera secrets in quick succession: broken families, alcoholism, sexual violence, intimidation, warped competition for affection, and a surprisingly touching reflection on parenting a son with special needs.
Nevertheless, an accomplished ensemble cast walk the line between farce and fearfulness, tickling the funny bone while prodding our social conscience with those mighty large antlers.
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 4 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 5 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 6 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 7 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 8 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Islington district seal victory over Camden
A compelling, thought-provoking Christmas night out.