The Lighterman, King’s Cross, food review: ‘Stylish setting next to canal’
- Credit: Archant
The rejuventation of King’s Cross into a dining destination just took an upward turn with the opening of a three-storey bar and dining room right on the canal.
Named after the flat-bottomed goods barges that plied their trade along London’s waterways in the Victorian era The Lighterman is anything but traditional. The stylish modernist glass rectangle boasts fabulous views of those great industrial transport hubs St Pancras and King’s Cross stations as well as the multi-coloured fountains in Granary Square.
Regent’s canal flows just below it’s wraparound upper terrace, which will surely come into its own once the biting spring winds let up.
The students from neighbouring Central St Martins and the journos from The Guardian are now spoiled for choice with the recent opening of the German Gymnasium joining the range of bars and restaurants around these two stations.
At the Lighterman the offer is more modern British than German although, perhaps with a Spanish twist from executive chef Diego Cardoso, who also launched Percy and Founders in Fitzrovia.
You may also want to watch:
Crispy fried squid with a paprika, deep fried oysters, chicken burgers with chorizo, meats from the wood-fired grill and gorgeous homemade pizzas are among the extensive options for an all-day offer that ranges from breakfast to formal dining.
Meanwhile craft ales, seasonal cocktails, Champagnes and a well thought out wine list will keep everyone watered.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 4 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 8 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 9 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 10 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
A soft launch continues until it’s official opening at the end of this month so go down and try out the latest gentrification of King’s Cross.