The Man Who Invented Christmas, film review: ‘A failed Doctor Who audition with a strong whiff of Cumberbatch’
- Credit: Archant
What the Dickens is this? Michael Joyce finds this a disappointing Christmas flick
Who was, of course, Charles Dickens.
The film dramatises events around the writing of A Christmas Carol. Dickens is shown racing against time to finish the book for Christmas, the characters coming to life and arguing with him about how the book should be and reflecting back over his life with his father.
The Dickens is wrong with this film. It is a light piece but Dan Stevens’ take on the writer is still just too frivolous to give the film any depth. Racing around manically in a three piece suit and Beethoven hairdo, he resembles a failed Doctor Who audition, rejected for being a bit too obvious.
All the way through I was trying to think which British actor Stevens’ voice reminded me of.
You may also want to watch:
There’s definite a strong initial whiff of Cumberbatch to it but eventually you realise he sounds like a composite of all of them.
Rating: 2/5 stars
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant