Theatre review: As You Like It at Shakespeare’s Globe
Clever and creative production boasts some brilliant performances
�It is not often girls have the chance to steal the show in a Shakespeare play.
They are rather hampered by the fact Shakespeare did not write many roles for women.
Not that the blame can be laid at the feet of the Bard himself: women were not allowed on the stage.
Yet the Globe’s touring production of As You Like It, back in the famous theatre after a summer travelling across Europe, is very much a vehicle for the girls, who manage to steal every scene they appear in.
You may also want to watch:
Deidre Mullins (Rosalind) and Beth Park (Celia) are an amazing comedy duo, while Emma Pallent (who took the roles of both Phebe and the usually-male Jaques) had the audience eating out of her hands with the (melancholic) raise of an eyebrow.
Indeed, they are so good they put the boys in the shade, who, with the exception of Will Mannering (Touchstone/Adam), who was quite brilliant, struggle to make their mark in this cleverly put together production.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 9 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
Much like the Globe’s touring production of Hamlet which thrilled audience’s last summer, a lot of thought has gone into the production as a whole.
After all, it takes a lot of creativity to create the court and forest with just eight actors, a large box and a few ladders.
* As You Like It is at Shakespeare’s Globe, New Globe Walk, SE1, until September 16. Box office 020 7401 9919.