Theatre review: Being Gorgeous at the Etcetera Theatre
Middle-aged blonde bombshells The TinaMarinas channel the spirit of Loose Women
The middle-aged Tina and Marina are “two bombshell babes who come from Hull.” On the surface “they are bubbly and brash and like to pull.” Think a cross between TV’s Benidorm and Loose Women.
Created and acted by Norwich-based Beverley Bishop and Karen Hill, this hour-long cabaret invites us to look beyond the girls’ peroxide blonde hair, fake nails, tans and boobs to see how “gorgeous” they really are.
I didn’t find them especially gorgeous, personally, although the rhythmic, rhyming verse of their scripted language – full of wordplay and couplets like “hottie” and “Lanzarotte” – did have a kind of clumsy charm and revealed elements of their playfulness, warmth, humour and vulnerability beneath all that slap.
To be fair, the tightly packed audience in the Etcetera Theatre above Camden’s Oxford Arms giggled along more than happily at the entertainment, drinks in hand.
You may also want to watch:
One poor guy was even invited on stage for a one minute makeover from the ladies, though he seemed to love the attention and fired back some witty banter of his own.
The TinaMarinas received Arts Council funding to expand Being Gorgeous following a stint at the Edinburgh Fringe. Next stop after Camden: the Norwich Working Men’s Club.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 4 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 5 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 8 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 9 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 10 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
* The TinaMarinas: Being Gorgeous was at the Etcetera Theatre, Camden High Street, NW1, on February 20