Theatre review: Being Gorgeous at the Etcetera Theatre
Middle-aged blonde bombshells The TinaMarinas channel the spirit of Loose Women
The middle-aged Tina and Marina are “two bombshell babes who come from Hull.” On the surface “they are bubbly and brash and like to pull.” Think a cross between TV’s Benidorm and Loose Women.
Created and acted by Norwich-based Beverley Bishop and Karen Hill, this hour-long cabaret invites us to look beyond the girls’ peroxide blonde hair, fake nails, tans and boobs to see how “gorgeous” they really are.
I didn’t find them especially gorgeous, personally, although the rhythmic, rhyming verse of their scripted language – full of wordplay and couplets like “hottie” and “Lanzarotte” – did have a kind of clumsy charm and revealed elements of their playfulness, warmth, humour and vulnerability beneath all that slap.
To be fair, the tightly packed audience in the Etcetera Theatre above Camden’s Oxford Arms giggled along more than happily at the entertainment, drinks in hand.
You may also want to watch:
One poor guy was even invited on stage for a one minute makeover from the ladies, though he seemed to love the attention and fired back some witty banter of his own.
The TinaMarinas received Arts Council funding to expand Being Gorgeous following a stint at the Edinburgh Fringe. Next stop after Camden: the Norwich Working Men’s Club.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Islington shooting victim named
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
* The TinaMarinas: Being Gorgeous was at the Etcetera Theatre, Camden High Street, NW1, on February 20