Theatre review: Crazy For You at the Novello Theatre
Gershwin musical moves to the West End bringing with it chorus girls, glitz and classic tunes
There are some shows that remind you just why West End musicals are such a big deal, attracting visitors from all over the world. Crazy For You is such a production.
Although a re-interpretation of Gerwshin’s Girl Crazy, rather than a 1930s original, the classic songs, chorus girls, glitz and glamour hark back to a time when a Broadway show was the biggest game in town.
Following a successful run at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre, Crazy For You has moved to the Novello Theatre in Covent Garden.
It tells the story of Bobby Child, heir to a banking fortune who would swap it all for a life on stage.
After failing in one audition too many, he agrees to toe the family line and is sent to foreclose on a small theatre in Deadwood, Nevada that has hit hard times.
After falling in love with the place, and a local lady, he embarks on a mission to bring the theatre back to its former glory by staging a gala show, raising enough cash to fend off his own bank in the process.
- 1 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 2 Gunners pub back open for Premier League climax
- 3 Man accused of sexual assaults in Camden and Islington bailed
- 4 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 5 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 6 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 7 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 8 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 9 Fast food chain Leon launches 80th restaurant in Angel
- 10 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
The performance features some timeless tunes from master songwriters George and Ira Gershwin; I Got Rhythm, I can’t be Bothered Now and Embraceable You being the most memorable.
The new production also has great performances from The Bill’s Clare Foster, leading-man Sean Palmer, David Burt as club-owner Bela Zangler and Eastenders’ Kim Metcalf.
In our digital age, made poignant by the glut of reality TV that dominates our screens every autumn, Crazy For You is an all-singing, all-dancing celebration of the magic of the stage.
* Crazy For You is showing at the Novello Theatre, in Aldwych, WC2, until at least July 28.