Theatre review: Crazy For You at the Novello Theatre
Gershwin musical moves to the West End bringing with it chorus girls, glitz and classic tunes
There are some shows that remind you just why West End musicals are such a big deal, attracting visitors from all over the world. Crazy For You is such a production.
Although a re-interpretation of Gerwshin’s Girl Crazy, rather than a 1930s original, the classic songs, chorus girls, glitz and glamour hark back to a time when a Broadway show was the biggest game in town.
Following a successful run at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre, Crazy For You has moved to the Novello Theatre in Covent Garden.
It tells the story of Bobby Child, heir to a banking fortune who would swap it all for a life on stage.
You may also want to watch:
After failing in one audition too many, he agrees to toe the family line and is sent to foreclose on a small theatre in Deadwood, Nevada that has hit hard times.
After falling in love with the place, and a local lady, he embarks on a mission to bring the theatre back to its former glory by staging a gala show, raising enough cash to fend off his own bank in the process.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 3 Letter: 'Highbury roundabout is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 4 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 8 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 9 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 10 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
The performance features some timeless tunes from master songwriters George and Ira Gershwin; I Got Rhythm, I can’t be Bothered Now and Embraceable You being the most memorable.
The new production also has great performances from The Bill’s Clare Foster, leading-man Sean Palmer, David Burt as club-owner Bela Zangler and Eastenders’ Kim Metcalf.
In our digital age, made poignant by the glut of reality TV that dominates our screens every autumn, Crazy For You is an all-singing, all-dancing celebration of the magic of the stage.
* Crazy For You is showing at the Novello Theatre, in Aldwych, WC2, until at least July 28.