Theatre review: Crazy For You at the Novello Theatre
Gershwin musical moves to the West End bringing with it chorus girls, glitz and classic tunes
There are some shows that remind you just why West End musicals are such a big deal, attracting visitors from all over the world. Crazy For You is such a production.
Although a re-interpretation of Gerwshin’s Girl Crazy, rather than a 1930s original, the classic songs, chorus girls, glitz and glamour hark back to a time when a Broadway show was the biggest game in town.
Following a successful run at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre, Crazy For You has moved to the Novello Theatre in Covent Garden.
It tells the story of Bobby Child, heir to a banking fortune who would swap it all for a life on stage.
You may also want to watch:
After failing in one audition too many, he agrees to toe the family line and is sent to foreclose on a small theatre in Deadwood, Nevada that has hit hard times.
After falling in love with the place, and a local lady, he embarks on a mission to bring the theatre back to its former glory by staging a gala show, raising enough cash to fend off his own bank in the process.
- 1 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 2 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 3 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 4 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 5 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 6 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 7 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 8 Arsenal boss Montemurro picks up second straight manager of the month award
- 9 Sharks and rooftop pavilions: Time for planning laws 'middle way'
- 10 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
The performance features some timeless tunes from master songwriters George and Ira Gershwin; I Got Rhythm, I can’t be Bothered Now and Embraceable You being the most memorable.
The new production also has great performances from The Bill’s Clare Foster, leading-man Sean Palmer, David Burt as club-owner Bela Zangler and Eastenders’ Kim Metcalf.
In our digital age, made poignant by the glut of reality TV that dominates our screens every autumn, Crazy For You is an all-singing, all-dancing celebration of the magic of the stage.
* Crazy For You is showing at the Novello Theatre, in Aldwych, WC2, until at least July 28.