Theatre Review: Havana Rakatan at the Peacock Theatre
Sultry rhythms and sexy beats tell a story of Cuba’s dense cultural history
Havana Rakatan is one of the rare performances with the power to inspire even the most skeptical person in the audience.
It is two hours of spectacular beauty, breathtaking movement and fascinating cultural enlightenment that is guaranteed to get everyone on their feet when the curtain falls.
This Latin American dance show is put together entirely by the talented cast from Cuba. It is an authentic representation of the sultry rhythms, sexy beats and alluring shimmies known to Cuban culture.
The music is reminiscent of the Buena Vista Social Club and is brought to life by a band that sits in the background of the action - but not unnoticed - throughout the entire show.
You may also want to watch:
The dresses are to die for – the most striking colors, worn by every dancer in her own individual way, are coupled with sexy cuts sure to grab every man’s attention.
The ladies get an eyeful too with the men daring to wear bold shades – and their gorgeous natural hues on occasion too!
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 6 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 Mental health charity announces arts award winner and new grants
- 10 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
There is no doubt that Havana Rakatan is the sexiest show around town, but there is more to it than that.
Each dance takes the audience through an era of Cuba’s dense cultural history. The choreography tells the country’s captivating story from the first interactions between colonial Spain and tribal Africa to the modern day Cuba we are all familiar with and, thanks to the show, would love to visit today.
Put simply, the only way Havana Rakatan could be any better is if you saw it in Havana.
* Havana Rakatan is showing at the Peacock Theatre, in Portugal Street, WC2, until Sunday, October 9.