Theatre Review: I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change! at Bridewell Theatre
An off-Broadway hit is given a hilarious and sometimes poignant re-working.
Joe Dipietro and Jimmy Roberts’ musical revue is one of off-Broadway’s longest-running hits and has been performed in over 400 cities worldwide.
Now London gets a chance to see this take on the “truths and myths behind relationships” in Maple Giant Theatre Company’s production at the Bridewell Theatre.
Performing on a minimal set, the versatile cast take us through a varied timeline of relationships, starting with first dates and running through the trials and tribulations of dating, the highs and lows of marriage, the hopes and difficulties of parenthood, and finally even the chat-up techniques of geriatrics.
The majority of the scenes, and accompanying catch songs, are comedic and prompted laughs of recognition from the audience – particularly the rubber-faced characters played by Jonathan Leinmuller and Laura Edgehill.
You may also want to watch:
Who hasn’t been on a terrible date, or questioned whether a relationship is the right one, or wondered if they love their partner too much?
As the final example attests, there are also moments of poignancy here, particularly the lonely female character (played by Philly Lopez) who sings “I will be loved tonight” after making plans with a new boyfriend.
- 1 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 2 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 3 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 4 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 5 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 6 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 7 Whittington NHS bosses announce maternity transformation plans
- 8 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 9 Sharks and rooftop pavilions: Time for planning laws 'middle way'
- 10 St George's Day, Partners Islington, LTNs and Local Plan policy
Overall this is an evening of big laughs – and occasional thoughtful moments – for adults at every stage of life.
* I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change! is showing at the Bridewell Theatre, in Bride Lane, EC4Y, until Saturday, September 17.