Theatre Review: I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change! at Bridewell Theatre
An off-Broadway hit is given a hilarious and sometimes poignant re-working.
Joe Dipietro and Jimmy Roberts’ musical revue is one of off-Broadway’s longest-running hits and has been performed in over 400 cities worldwide.
Now London gets a chance to see this take on the “truths and myths behind relationships” in Maple Giant Theatre Company’s production at the Bridewell Theatre.
Performing on a minimal set, the versatile cast take us through a varied timeline of relationships, starting with first dates and running through the trials and tribulations of dating, the highs and lows of marriage, the hopes and difficulties of parenthood, and finally even the chat-up techniques of geriatrics.
The majority of the scenes, and accompanying catch songs, are comedic and prompted laughs of recognition from the audience – particularly the rubber-faced characters played by Jonathan Leinmuller and Laura Edgehill.
You may also want to watch:
Who hasn’t been on a terrible date, or questioned whether a relationship is the right one, or wondered if they love their partner too much?
As the final example attests, there are also moments of poignancy here, particularly the lonely female character (played by Philly Lopez) who sings “I will be loved tonight” after making plans with a new boyfriend.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
Overall this is an evening of big laughs – and occasional thoughtful moments – for adults at every stage of life.
* I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change! is showing at the Bridewell Theatre, in Bride Lane, EC4Y, until Saturday, September 17.