Theatre Review: I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change! at Bridewell Theatre
An off-Broadway hit is given a hilarious and sometimes poignant re-working.
Joe Dipietro and Jimmy Roberts’ musical revue is one of off-Broadway’s longest-running hits and has been performed in over 400 cities worldwide.
Now London gets a chance to see this take on the “truths and myths behind relationships” in Maple Giant Theatre Company’s production at the Bridewell Theatre.
Performing on a minimal set, the versatile cast take us through a varied timeline of relationships, starting with first dates and running through the trials and tribulations of dating, the highs and lows of marriage, the hopes and difficulties of parenthood, and finally even the chat-up techniques of geriatrics.
The majority of the scenes, and accompanying catch songs, are comedic and prompted laughs of recognition from the audience – particularly the rubber-faced characters played by Jonathan Leinmuller and Laura Edgehill.
You may also want to watch:
Who hasn’t been on a terrible date, or questioned whether a relationship is the right one, or wondered if they love their partner too much?
As the final example attests, there are also moments of poignancy here, particularly the lonely female character (played by Philly Lopez) who sings “I will be loved tonight” after making plans with a new boyfriend.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Islington signs deal to secure homes for Afghan refugees
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 7 Highbury church St Joan of Arc marks Covid-delayed centenary
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
Overall this is an evening of big laughs – and occasional thoughtful moments – for adults at every stage of life.
* I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change! is showing at the Bridewell Theatre, in Bride Lane, EC4Y, until Saturday, September 17.