Theatre Review: I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change! at Bridewell Theatre
An off-Broadway hit is given a hilarious and sometimes poignant re-working.
Joe Dipietro and Jimmy Roberts’ musical revue is one of off-Broadway’s longest-running hits and has been performed in over 400 cities worldwide.
Now London gets a chance to see this take on the “truths and myths behind relationships” in Maple Giant Theatre Company’s production at the Bridewell Theatre.
Performing on a minimal set, the versatile cast take us through a varied timeline of relationships, starting with first dates and running through the trials and tribulations of dating, the highs and lows of marriage, the hopes and difficulties of parenthood, and finally even the chat-up techniques of geriatrics.
The majority of the scenes, and accompanying catch songs, are comedic and prompted laughs of recognition from the audience – particularly the rubber-faced characters played by Jonathan Leinmuller and Laura Edgehill.
Who hasn’t been on a terrible date, or questioned whether a relationship is the right one, or wondered if they love their partner too much?
As the final example attests, there are also moments of poignancy here, particularly the lonely female character (played by Philly Lopez) who sings “I will be loved tonight” after making plans with a new boyfriend.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 4 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 5 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 6 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 7 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 8 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 9 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
Overall this is an evening of big laughs – and occasional thoughtful moments – for adults at every stage of life.
* I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change! is showing at the Bridewell Theatre, in Bride Lane, EC4Y, until Saturday, September 17.