Theatre review: In the Solitude of Cotton Fields at the Tristan Bates Theatre
Adaptation of French playwright Bernard-Marie Koltes’ intense two-hander
�The intimate setting of the Tristan Bates theatre forms the perfect backdrop for this intense two-hander directed by Kimberly Sykes.
The action focuses on the tempestuous relationship between a Dealer and Client who encounter one another by chance in the dark streets of an unknown place. What is being bought or sold is undisclosed: the transaction forms the backdrop to a philosophical dissection of the human psyche.
The Dealer (Alexander Roberts) draws in his Client (Christopher Hughes) with a camp cockney drawl and a pair of leather leggings lewdly bulging at the crotch. But the predator becomes prey and vice versa as both men win and lose the battle for supremacy several times. Creatively staged, the only props are the coats hanging on each wall, and a loudspeaker.
Christopher Hughes is credible as the outwardly conventional Client while Alexander Roberts’ multi-faceted performance brilliantly shows the flaws and strengths of the Dealer, and the inherent contradictions in his nature.
You may also want to watch:
Although Bernard-Marie Koltes is one of the most produced playwrights in France he is relatively obscure in the UK, partly because some of the experimental theatrical techniques he dives into from the start.
An interesting adaptation of a complex piece.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
* In the Solitude of Cotton Fields is at the Tristan Bates Theatre in Tower Street, WC2, until May 12.