Theatre Review: Legally Blonde The Musical
Blonde ambition pulsates through a new all-star cast.
Pink sensation Legally Blonde The Musical opens to the girly cry of “Oh My God You Guys” and continues in a blaze of cotton candy idealism.
The multi-award winning show has a new cast with Hollyoaks actress Carley Stenson starring as Elle Woods and Lee Mead, winner of the BBC’s Any Dream Will Do, as her geeky lawyer love interest Emmett Forrest.
The feel good tale of a California girl who follows her love-rat boyfriend to Harvard Law School to win back his heart, only to paint the hallowed halls pink is an uplifting one.
Elle may be blonde, but she is also a legal whizz who eventually melts the hearts of the frosty law fraternity. It is all as sweet and fluffy as candyfloss, naive idealism made musical, but it is very hard not to fall under the spell.
You may also want to watch:
Carley Stenson has a fine voice and real grace as Elle, and Lee Mead - who had his own chorus of screaming fans - is perfectly cast as the loveable geek who gets the girl.
With songs including the camp courtroom number Gay Or European? there’s also the occasional cocked eyebrow of satire to combat all that pink. Add star quality and show-tune numbers and what’s not to love.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
A musical must have a touch of class when the Made In Chelsea girls are in the audience on opening night. A perfect pick me up.
* Showing at the Savoy Theatre in Savoy Court, WC2.