Theatre Review: Legally Blonde The Musical
Blonde ambition pulsates through a new all-star cast.
Pink sensation Legally Blonde The Musical opens to the girly cry of “Oh My God You Guys” and continues in a blaze of cotton candy idealism.
The multi-award winning show has a new cast with Hollyoaks actress Carley Stenson starring as Elle Woods and Lee Mead, winner of the BBC’s Any Dream Will Do, as her geeky lawyer love interest Emmett Forrest.
The feel good tale of a California girl who follows her love-rat boyfriend to Harvard Law School to win back his heart, only to paint the hallowed halls pink is an uplifting one.
Elle may be blonde, but she is also a legal whizz who eventually melts the hearts of the frosty law fraternity. It is all as sweet and fluffy as candyfloss, naive idealism made musical, but it is very hard not to fall under the spell.
You may also want to watch:
Carley Stenson has a fine voice and real grace as Elle, and Lee Mead - who had his own chorus of screaming fans - is perfectly cast as the loveable geek who gets the girl.
With songs including the camp courtroom number Gay Or European? there’s also the occasional cocked eyebrow of satire to combat all that pink. Add star quality and show-tune numbers and what’s not to love.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
A musical must have a touch of class when the Made In Chelsea girls are in the audience on opening night. A perfect pick me up.
* Showing at the Savoy Theatre in Savoy Court, WC2.