Theatre Review: Madama Butterfly at the Royal Opera House
An astonishing Royal Opera House debut for a young Latvian soprano in MADAMA BUTTERFLY
Madama Butterfly is a great opera and this latest revival of Paul Caurier’s and Moshe Leiser’s 2003 production more than does justice to the tragic tale of love, betrayal and suicide.
All of the cast sing well and, under the baton of Andris Nelson, the orchestra bring colour to Puccini’s dramatic score. But it is Latvian soprano Kristine Opolais, making her Royal Opera House debut, who steals the show.
Her beautifully sung and highly emotive portrayal of Cio-Cio-San brought a huge roar of appreciation from the Covent Garden audience. Such was her impact, the audience even booed James Valenti, who was excellent as the dastardly Pinkerton, when he appeared for his curtain call.
Madama Butterfly runs until July 16 but Opolais will make way for two other leading ladies after her performance on July 4. Fortunately, the Royal Opera House is filming that night’s show and broadcasting it live to 18 screens around the UK, including Trafalgar Square, Canary Wharf and Walthamstow Town Square.
You may also want to watch:
While the big screen might struggle to truly capture her considerable talents, it offers a fantastic opportunity to see and hear Miss Opolais in action. There is no doubt she will be a hot ticket for many years to come.
* Showing at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, WC2, until Saturday, July 16.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 5 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 6 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 7 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 8 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 9 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 10 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket