Theatre Review: Postcards Festival in Highgate
Enchanting goings-on see a bloke swinging from a clothes hanger in the Gothic spaces of Jacksons Lane Arts Centre for POSTCARDS FESTIVAL.
This boozy extravaganza enjoyably showcased eclectic acts from the brand new Postcards Festival of circus, cabaret, live art and the downright bizarre - taking place here in Highgate over the next six weeks.
Her Majesty The Queen introduced her minions to performers in the packed late bar, and invited us to follow her round Jacksons Lane’s breathtaking Gothic spaces to witness enchanting goings-on.
Odd beings mingled with audience members as we toured, including weird guys in freaky masks and a bloke swinging from a clothes hanger with a spoon taped tantalisingly to his face.
Jugglers impressed, as did an accordion-playing chanteuse. Snippets from two of the forthcoming shows really stood out - Marawa The Amazing hoola-hoop lady, recently seen on Britain’s Got Talent, and Bryony Kimmings’ funny and disturbing “7 Day Drunk” performance, exploring the link between booze and creativity. I’d love to see more to decide whether I like it or not.
You may also want to watch:
With plenty of audience participation at the bar, much revelry and mirth will continue throughout June and July at this ever-innovative, multi-arts venue, which is currently celebrating its 35th birthday.
* Postcards Festival is at Jacksons Lane Arts Centre in Archway Road, N6, until Wednesday, July 20.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 9 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 10 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire