Things to do in Islington this weekend
Our pick of what’s going on in Islington this weekend:
Jive away to a live band at this spring fling for adults with learning disabilities form 6.30pm at the Daylight Centre, Highbury Grove, N5. Costs �5, food included and all proceeds go to the Daylight service user’s comfort fund.
Compare the intangible qualities of stories, dreams and poems and how they affect our lives with Peter Vere Simmons and Tom Bland, from 6.30 to 9.30pm, at The Crypt of St Mary’s Church, Upper Street, N1. Suggested donation of �1 per session. For details call 020 7713 9304.
Enjoy some connecting conversations with composer Nico Muhly, librettist Craig Lucas and director Bartlett Sher of ENO’s new opera Two Boys as part of the Holloway Arts Festival, from 7 to 8.30pm at the North Library, Manor Gardens, N7, Costs �10, �8 concessions, call 07515 647208 for more information.
You may also want to watch:
Kick off the worries of the working week with an afternoon of free events, including Urban Craft Club, singing workshop and poetry readings at this Street Party, from 1 to 5pm at Mayton Street and the Old Fire Station Community Centre, N7, Free, call 020 7527 7820 for more information.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 5 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
Cherish the practicality and beauty of wool at this weekly knitting class led by connoisseur of the yarn, Charlene Sandy, from 11am to 12.30pm at The Old Fire Station, Mayton Street, N7 6QT. Free, call 07515647208 for more information.
Study far eastern disciplines at these Chi Kung sessions. Every Saturday from 11.15am to 12.30am and every Friday from 6.45pm to 7.45pm at Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. For more information call 07973622240. Costs �10 per lesson or �40 for 5 lessons.
Let your hair down at the big day out, featuring music from live bands, a variety of arts and craft workshops, dance performances and a range of stalls as part of the Holloway Arts Festival, from 1 to 5pm, at Whittington Park, Yerbury Road, N19. Free, call 07515 647208 for more information.
Learn to channel your chi at these reiki-share sessions from 5.30 to 7.30pm every Sunday and 7.30 to 9.30pm every Wednesday at Highbury Station Rd, N1. For more information call 07957423460.
Snicker while you stretch at laughter yoga exercises; the playful way to health from 6pm to 7pm at the Hilldrop Community Centre, Community Lane, Hilldrop Road, London N7. Costs �5 or �3 concession. Turn up or call 0207 609 6145 for details.