Three hospitalised after Finsbury Park estate fire
- Credit: Archant
Fifty people were evacuated from a block in Finsbury Park last night when a fire broke out that left three in hospital.
It was caused by an unattended candle setting a curtain alight, firefighters said.
Crews were called at about 10pm to the Six Acres Estate in Pooles Park, off Seven Sisters Road.
A maisonette on the first and second floor of the building in Pooles Park was badly damaged by fire, which was brought under control by 11.30pm. One adult and two children were taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation.
Watch manager Ben King, who was at the scene, said: “Crews were faced with a well developed fire when they arrived, with the flames visible from Seven Sisters Road.
You may also want to watch:
“Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control quickly and stopped it from spreading into the roof space. The cause of the fire is believed to be an unattended candle which set light to a curtain.
“It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.”
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 8 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 9 Islington district suffer heavy defeat to Greenwich in Lester Finch Trophy
- 10 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
London Fire Brigade today issed candle safety tips:
Keep candles/tea lights away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire. Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit.
Always place candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candle holder.
Make sure the candle holder holds the candle/tea light firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.