Tierney lauds Arsenal scorers Pepe and Martinelli after win over Vitoria
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Kieran Tierney was quick to praise Nicolas Pepe and Gabriel Martinelli after they both scored to help Arsenal to a narrow 3-2 win over Vitoria Giumaraes in the Europa League on Thursday night.
Brazilian youngster Martinelli equalised with a header to make it 1-1 after Marcus Edwards' opener, and substitute Pepe was required to win the game with two superb free-kicks in the final 10 minutes following Bruno Duarte's first-half goal to put the Portuguese side back in front.
Full-back Tierney believes Pepe's goals will be important for him after a slow start to life in England, and he was pleased to see him rewarded for his hard work.
"That just shows you he is a special player, and in a moment like that he can produce a bit of magic. That's what we needed," he said.
"It will be massive for him, it's a hard place to come and hit the ground running.
You may also want to watch:
"It's a massive club, in a massive league.
"He deserves that because he's been working hard every single day."
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
Tierney was also keen to praise Martinelli after the pair combined once again for another goal in the Europa League.
"I love playing with Gabi, even in training as well - but I hate playing against him. he said.
"He's a great player.
"You can see how clinical he is in front of goal. He's good at everything - there's not a negative I can say about Gabi. He's got the lot."