Top Islington playhouse throws doors open with backstage tours
The Almeida Festival is back with another month of exciting drama – and will give theatre fans the chance to get behind the scenes at the renowned playhouse.
The annual event takes over the Almeida Theatre from this week until July 28, showcasing nine productions at different stages of development.
And the theatre kicks the festivities off by flinging its doors open to the public from noon today, offering backstage tours of the theatre and the chance to participate in workshops.
Another highlight will be the Almeida debut of the Inspector Sands theatre company, who are bringing their new production, Mass Observation, to its hallowed boards.
This topical work ties in with the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee by following the life of a woman called Marsha in two time periods – first her early days in 1937, then fast-forwarding to the present day and her visit to a jubilee street party.
You may also want to watch:
Other productions will include a retelling of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream by Custom/Practice, who are also making their debut.
n The Almeida Festival is at the Almeida Theatre, Almeida Street, N1, until July 28. For the full programme visit www.almeida.co.uk/festival2012 To book tickets, priced at �15/�10, call the box office on 020 7359 4404.
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 2 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 3 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 4 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 5 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 6 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 7 Controversial plan to sell alcohol in Finsbury Park dropped
- 8 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 9 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 10 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash