Town Hall slammed for splashing £2mil moving Highbury office
- Credit: Archant
Town hall bosses have come under fire for spending nearly £2million relocating a housing office.
Next month, Islington Council staff will leave Highbury House in Highbury Crescent, in a move that will cost the authority £1.9m.
The employees will then work in offices in Upper Street, Islington, and Cottage Road, Holloway.
Cllr John Gilbert, opposition Lib Dem group finance spokesman, said: “Two million pounds seems an extraordinary amount for the council to spend on a move.
“Of course, in time, this will generate a long-term saving for the council.
“But when Islington Labour councillors claim that they have no money, residents will wonder how the council can find £2m to move offices.
“This is on top of its failure to spend £6m of its budget for the fourth year running.
- 1 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 2 Gunners pub back open for Premier League climax
- 3 Man accused of sexual assaults in Camden and Islington bailed
- 4 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 5 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 6 Fast food chain Leon launches 80th restaurant in Angel
- 7 Missing: 29-year-old Islington woman last seen in Haringey
- 8 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 9 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 10 Boy, 13, arrested after teenager stabbed in Canonbury
“Residents want a council that spends their money wisely, not on itself while failing to spend money on vital day-to-day services for local people.”
The move is taking place because the town hall’s two-year lease on Highbury House is ending.
In 2011, the council spent £235,000 refurbishing the building.
Cllr Andy Hull, executive member for finance and performance, said: “We are making these changes to save money at the same time as providing better services for residents.
“The fewer buildings we run, the more we can spend on the services residents need.”