High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- Credit: Polly Hancock
A High Court ruling against road schemes in London will not affect Islington's People Friendly Streets, the council has claimed.
On January 20, Mrs Justice Beverley Lang ruled that Mayor Sadiq Khan and Transport for London (TfL) had acted unlawfully over a particular aspect of their Streetspace programme.
In the judicial review brought by United Trade Action Group and the Licensed Taxi Drivers Association, the judge found the scheme "failed to distinguish taxis from 'general traffic'" and its treatment of them "irrational" around an order to restrict traffic along the A10.
Islington Council has also been rolling out low-traffic schemes - coined People Friendly Streets neighbourhoods - to make the borough greener.
A spokesperson said: "Although Islington Council has used TfL funding for some of its People Friendly Streets schemes through the Streetspace programme, the council follows its own processes to deliver People Friendly Streets.
"People Friendly Streets are not directly impacted by the High Court's ruling on the Streetspace programme. However, the council is carefully reviewing the ruling."
You may also want to watch:
TfL said it will seek to appeal the judgement: "Temporary Streetspace schemes are enabling safer essential journeys during this exceptionally challenging time and are vital to ensuring that increased car traffic does not threaten London’s recovery from coronavirus."
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 7 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 Finsbury Park to get its own Pokémon-GO style story
- 10 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week