Trainees create new path on Islington housing estate
Trainees from Islington created a huge new path on a housing estate.
The pathway, across Perth Green on the Bemerton Estate, Islington, which officially opened on October 29 has been constructed by apprentices.
The volunteers were on a Pathway to Success course run by Construction Youth Trust, Bemerton Villages Management Organisation (BVMO) and Team Cally. It was funded by Islington Council and BVMO.
Trainees gained construction skills including manual handling, cement work, block work and paving while working on the Bemerton Estate path between April and October.
Rod Bennion, Construction Youth Trust chariman said: “The young people have done a fabulous job. I am delighted to see the finished product. You can’t build a path like this one without talent.”
You may also want to watch:
Many of the workers have moved into employment including TeeJay Murphy who has been offered a multi-skills apprenticeship with BVMO.
TeeJay, 18, who left school without any qualifications, said: “It helped me decide on what I want to do with my life.”
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 5 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal
- 8 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 9 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 10 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
At the opening of the path, trainees were presented with certificates and congratulated by Mr Bennion, Alex Scorgie, estate manager at BVMO and Islington Cllr Paul Convery, executive member for planning, regeneration and transport.
Contractors Ringway Jacobs and Keltbray helped with the construction.