Transvestite stand-up Andrew O’Neill to play the Garage in Highbury
You might not book a cross-dressing, heavy metal-loving stand-up from Tufnell Park to entertain residents at an old people’s home.
But Andrew O’Neill says despite his alternative persona, his comedy is for everyone – and he recently had 80-year-olds laughing away to his tales of hitchhiking and practising black magic at a show in Wells-next-the-Sea.
The 32-year-old funnyman is playing top Highbury gig venue the Garage, in Highbury Corner, for the finale to a European tour on Thursday, March 1.
He said: “I’m a heavy metal-loving, vegan transvestite and the show is about finding ways to be alternative in everyday life.
“But it’s for a general audience – everyone gets the gags. I did it in Wells-next-the-Sea recently to people in their 80s who loved it.
You may also want to watch:
“This will be the last time I ever perform the show, so the audience will see it at its best.”
- 1 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 2 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 3 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 4 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 5 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 6 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 7 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 10 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown