Transvestite stand-up Andrew O’Neill to play the Garage in Highbury
You might not book a cross-dressing, heavy metal-loving stand-up from Tufnell Park to entertain residents at an old people’s home.
But Andrew O’Neill says despite his alternative persona, his comedy is for everyone – and he recently had 80-year-olds laughing away to his tales of hitchhiking and practising black magic at a show in Wells-next-the-Sea.
The 32-year-old funnyman is playing top Highbury gig venue the Garage, in Highbury Corner, for the finale to a European tour on Thursday, March 1.
He said: “I’m a heavy metal-loving, vegan transvestite and the show is about finding ways to be alternative in everyday life.
“But it’s for a general audience – everyone gets the gags. I did it in Wells-next-the-Sea recently to people in their 80s who loved it.
You may also want to watch:
“This will be the last time I ever perform the show, so the audience will see it at its best.”
- 1 Seventh man charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 2 Low Traffic Islington coalition launched to support council's LTN roll-out
- 3 Open spaces, LTNs, vouchers, vaccinations and neonatal care
- 4 Plans to chop down 70-year-old Islington mulberry tree paused
- 5 WATCH: Air ambulance called to Islington flat fire
- 6 'Real disappointment' over uptake of Covid vaccine among care home staff
- 7 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer
- 8 Police force entry to alleged Islington 'house party' amid pandemic
- 9 'This is the end of my political career': Richard Watts stands down
- 10 Over-65s vaccinations begin in England as centre reports lack of patients