Transvestite stand-up Andrew O’Neill to play the Garage in Highbury
You might not book a cross-dressing, heavy metal-loving stand-up from Tufnell Park to entertain residents at an old people’s home.
But Andrew O’Neill says despite his alternative persona, his comedy is for everyone – and he recently had 80-year-olds laughing away to his tales of hitchhiking and practising black magic at a show in Wells-next-the-Sea.
The 32-year-old funnyman is playing top Highbury gig venue the Garage, in Highbury Corner, for the finale to a European tour on Thursday, March 1.
He said: “I’m a heavy metal-loving, vegan transvestite and the show is about finding ways to be alternative in everyday life.
“But it’s for a general audience – everyone gets the gags. I did it in Wells-next-the-Sea recently to people in their 80s who loved it.
You may also want to watch:
“This will be the last time I ever perform the show, so the audience will see it at its best.”
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 6 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 7 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 8 Controversial plan to sell alcohol in Finsbury Park dropped
- 9 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 10 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?