Transvestite stand-up Andrew O’Neill to play the Garage in Highbury
You might not book a cross-dressing, heavy metal-loving stand-up from Tufnell Park to entertain residents at an old people’s home.
But Andrew O’Neill says despite his alternative persona, his comedy is for everyone – and he recently had 80-year-olds laughing away to his tales of hitchhiking and practising black magic at a show in Wells-next-the-Sea.
The 32-year-old funnyman is playing top Highbury gig venue the Garage, in Highbury Corner, for the finale to a European tour on Thursday, March 1.
He said: “I’m a heavy metal-loving, vegan transvestite and the show is about finding ways to be alternative in everyday life.
“But it’s for a general audience – everyone gets the gags. I did it in Wells-next-the-Sea recently to people in their 80s who loved it.
You may also want to watch:
“This will be the last time I ever perform the show, so the audience will see it at its best.”
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 8 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder