Tributes paid after death of former Islington mayor and disabled rights champion Doreen Scott
Tributes have been paid to a former mayor and veteran disabled rights campaigner who has died aged 77.
Ex-Liberal Democrat councillor Doreen Scott passed away in a Southampton hospital last month after a short illness.
She was elected to represent Hillmarton ward in 1998, serving as mayor from 2003 to 2004 before stepping down from the council in 2006, and championed the rights of disabled people throughout her political career.
Cllr Terry Stacy, leader of the Lib Dem group on Islington Council, said: “She was a tireless campaigner for disabled rights in Islington and she will be sadly missed. Every day was a challenge for Doreen, but she met that challenge with a positive outlook and a determination to represent the interests of disabled people.”
Cllr Stacy said she did much to raise awareness of the plight of wheelchair users during her time as mayor, especially when she attended civic events alongside other council leaders and mayors.
He said: “The hosts often gave no consideration to how wheelchairs would get in. But instead of going away with her tail between her legs, she would be determined to sit there so every single council leader and mayor was forced to walk past, so they new how much trouble disabled people had in getting into public buildings.”
He added that she once had to be wheeled in backwards into a Buckingham Palace garden party.
- 1 Islington pub Alpaca wins lockdown service award
- 2 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 3 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 4 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 Scandinavian primary school moves to bigger premises in Highbury
- 7 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 8 Let's Talk: Campaign launched to tackle Islington inequality
- 9 Shops encouraged to become 'safe havens' to make Islington safer for women
- 10 Hundreds enjoy Jewish festival of lights in Islington
Cllr Richard Greening (Labour), deputy leader of Islington Council, said: “I am very sorry to hear of Doreen Scott’s death.
“She was a doughty campaigner for the rights of disabled people and was widely respected by councillors of all political persuasions, a respect which was reflected in her election as mayor in 2003. Our thoughts are with her family at this sad time.”
There will be a service at Islington Crematorium in East Finchley at 12.30pm on Friday January 18.