Troubled Highbury Fields Bandstand given free facelift – but still faces funding crisis
- Credit: Archant
It’s been a bleak few months for Highbury Fields Bandstand.
As reported in the Gazette back in February, the Bandstand, which offers cheap play sessions for kids under five, had some of its funding slashed by Islington Council after government cuts.
Its future remains in doubt – but at least it has been given a huge free facelift in the meantime.
Hochtief, the construction company which is carrying out the ongoing Highbury Corner bridge replacement nearby, said it wanted to help refurbish the shabby cabin while the Bandstand’s management focuses on fundraising.
The flooring has been replaced, walls repainted and brand new decking built.
You may also want to watch:
Param Kingston, Hochtief public liaison officer, said: “We try to engage with the community as part of our work to replace the bridge, and saw in the Gazette that the Bandstand was in a bit of a financial crisis.
“But we also saw that the building needed work. The flooring was not great for walking on and the walls needed a complete re-painting.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 6 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 10 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
“That’s why we were happy to do all the work free. It certainly looks more attractive and hospitable.”
Sam Parrington, who has managed the not-for-profit Bandstand for 15 years, said: “They’ve done an amazing job all for free. Such a great company.”
Of the funding situation, she added: “We are going to struggle getting through this year. Our future looks bleak if we don’t raise some money soon. We are looking at other funding options and have set up a JustGiving page.”
To donate, visit justgiving.com/highbury-bandstand