Troubled Highbury Fields Bandstand given free facelift – but still faces funding crisis
- Credit: Archant
It’s been a bleak few months for Highbury Fields Bandstand.
As reported in the Gazette back in February, the Bandstand, which offers cheap play sessions for kids under five, had some of its funding slashed by Islington Council after government cuts.
Its future remains in doubt – but at least it has been given a huge free facelift in the meantime.
Hochtief, the construction company which is carrying out the ongoing Highbury Corner bridge replacement nearby, said it wanted to help refurbish the shabby cabin while the Bandstand’s management focuses on fundraising.
The flooring has been replaced, walls repainted and brand new decking built.
You may also want to watch:
Param Kingston, Hochtief public liaison officer, said: “We try to engage with the community as part of our work to replace the bridge, and saw in the Gazette that the Bandstand was in a bit of a financial crisis.
“But we also saw that the building needed work. The flooring was not great for walking on and the walls needed a complete re-painting.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 6 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 7 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 10 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
“That’s why we were happy to do all the work free. It certainly looks more attractive and hospitable.”
Sam Parrington, who has managed the not-for-profit Bandstand for 15 years, said: “They’ve done an amazing job all for free. Such a great company.”
Of the funding situation, she added: “We are going to struggle getting through this year. Our future looks bleak if we don’t raise some money soon. We are looking at other funding options and have set up a JustGiving page.”
To donate, visit justgiving.com/highbury-bandstand