Peabody tenant says flooding has 'destroyed' his Tufnell Park bedroom
PUBLISHED: 19:10 06 September 2018
A 28-year-old man says he's been left "deprived and isolated" after his bedroom was "destroyed" by flooding in his housing association flat in Tufnell Park.
Tim Craig, of Bishops Close, says his flat’s been flooding over the past five weeks because Peabody workers drilled five holes in his ceiling and then left without repairing them.
Jeremy Corbyn has written to Peabody on his constituents behalf, but Tim says the housing association still hasn’t made the repairs.
“They drilled five holes in my ceiling,” said. Tim, who suffers from mental health problems. “And since then my bedroom has been destroyed due to the heavy rain we have had over the past few weeks.
“It’s badly affected my life – I’ve been sleeping on the sofa and have felt deprived and isolated.
“I’ve made so many phone calls and [Peabody] know I have mental health problems but nothing has been done and they are passing the buck – the conditions here are so poor.”
Tim added: “It’s bad, I can’t focus on anything at the moment and I’m feeling really unwell.”
There is also a hole in his floor, which Tim says has been there for a year, and he fears it might collapse and hurt his downstairs neighbours.
He added: “My concern is that if the floors fall through it could kill somebody living beneath us.”
A spokesperson for Peabody said: “We apologise for the delay in resolving the issue of water ingress in [Tim’s] home.”
They claim the issue was brought to their attention on August 16, when contractors were sent out to assess the problem.
But the spokesperson added: “Unfortunately it appears that the necessary scaffolding to assess the roof was not arranged at that time as it should have been.
“Our engineers arrived the same day as the leak was reported in the property and whilst we did make it safe we were not quick enough to gain access to the roof to remedy the situation.
“This is a complex process which we are now expediting. The works have now begun but there are clearly lessons to be learned from this incident.”