Tufnell Park man ready to ride a year after open heart surgery
- Credit: Archant
A Tufnell Park dad is preparing to announce “I’m back!” by taking on a 68-mile cycle challenge - just one year on from open heart surgery.
Alex Gardiner, 50, will next month take part in the Essex 100 ride in aid of children’s charity Action Medical Research.
The father-of-two, managing director of production company Shiver, wants to give something back to the world after his ordeal last year, when he had a faulty valve.
He said: “It is a great cause and it also really felt like a way of saying one year on: ‘I’m back!’”
After three months recuperating following his operation, Mr Gardiner was determined to get back to full health. He has been training on his bike in Highgate Hill, and said: “I want to do it and feel good afterwards, not just exhausted.
You may also want to watch:
“I initially wanted to do the champion route (104 miles) but have settled for the classic (68 miles) this year. We’ll save the 104 miles for next year.”
Mr Gardiner will line up in Colchester on September 20. To support his fundraising, visit action.org.uk/sponsor/alexandergardiner1
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 4 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years