Tufnell Park student who took on police excels in GCSEs
A gifted GCSE student who took the Metropolitan Police to task over controversial “kettling” tactics during the student fees protests has achieved 12 A*s.
Adam Castle, 16, got top marks in every subject he sat and was one of several high flyers at Acland Burghley School in Burghley Road, Tufnell Park – as it posted its best ever results.
Adam, who lives in Tufnell Park, took the police to court to challenge its right to “kettle” children in June, after he was held for hours during a protest against university fee rises last November, and is currently awaiting the outcome.
His friend and fellow Burghley pupil Sam Eaton, 16, who joined him in bringing the case, also excelled, attaining nine A*s and one A. Sam said: “I got everything I wanted to get. I’m really pleased.”
Other Year 11s celebrating stunning results at the school included Rhona Michie, who got 10 A*s and one A, Tianhao Xu, who achieved nine A*s and three As, and Devante Suchit, who last week got an A in maths AS-Level to go with seven A*s and two As at GCSE. Devante said: “After the A at AS, I knew I’d do alright today.”
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Jo Armitage said: “These results are testament to the hard work, ambition and generous team spirit of all students and staff. Our Year 11 students have put themselves firmly on the path to successful futures and put the school undoubtedly on the way to ‘outstanding’.”
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 10 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion