TV star Stephen Mangan backs Islington theatre’s fundraising campaign
- Credit: Archant
Comedy actor Stephen Mangan, best known for his roles in hit TV show Green Wing and BBC’s Episodes, is backing a fundraising campaign to help restore the Little Angel Theatre.
The actor, who regularly attends the theatre with his two sons, has featured in a video on the venue’s website urging people to donate much needed cash.
The theatre, which is one of only three building-based puppet theatres in England, launched its Restoration SOS Capital Campaign to pay for improvements to the building in Dagmar Passage.
More than £26,000 has been raised so far with over £10,000 pledged by members of the public. But the theatre still has some way to go before it reaches its target of £60,000 to repair the roof and repair the boiler.
Stephen said: “I love the Little Angel Theatre. My kids are too young to go and see West End plays but they can come here and watch some of the best puppetry in the world.
You may also want to watch:
“The building itself is the perfect size. You see it in my kids – as soon as you walk in here you feel excited, something is going to happen, you are going to see something out of the ordinary.
“It is so important that places like this exist and are allowed to do the work they want to do, as well as they can do it. If Little Angel Theatre didn’t exist it would leave a huge hole. There are dozens of multiplex cinemas, every house has 2-3 TVs in it, but places like this are really rare and need to be looked after. My children can come here and have an experience they can’t get anywhere else.”
- 1 Family appeal for help to find Islington man missing for more than two weeks
- 2 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 3 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 4 Overground suspended in Hackney and Islington
- 5 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 6 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 7 Even better than the real thing? Tribute bands to see in north London before 2022
- 8 Islington food bank sees applicants triple
- 9 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 10 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
Donations can be made at littleangeltheatre.com