Two apprentices a week getting ‘foot in the door’ with Islington Council
- Credit: Archant
Islington Council is helping two people a week into apprenticeships, new figures show.
Between 2012 and 2016, 400 people from Islington were assisted to secure an apprenticeship with either the council or Islington businesses which work with it.
One was 20-year-old Shane Hannon, who is six months into a two-year apprenticeship with the council housing repairs team in Upper Holloway’s Bush Industrial Estate.
Mr Hannon, who struggled at school due to dyslexia, said: “If you haven’t got good GCSEs, an apprenticeship is a great way to get your foot in the door.”
Another was 34-year-old Maria Frawley, who wanted a change in career after working with young people. With the council’s apprenticeships not exclusive to younger candidates, she also joined the housing repairs team and said: “I’ve always loved learning. The prospect of getting another qualification makes me so happy.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information about becoming an apprentice, email email@example.com or call 0207 527 3559.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London