Two arrested in connection with canal death
- Credit: Archant
Two men have been arrested in connection with the suspected murder of a man in Islington, whose body was recovered from the Regent’s Canal in September.
A 61-year-old man was arrested on Wednesday October 7 and a 22-year-old man was arrested on Thursday, October 8. Both remain in custody in central London police stations.
Police are continuing to appeal for information following the discovery of the body of 46-year-old Sebastiano Magnanini, who was discovered tied to a shopping trolley close to the entrance of Islington Tunnel by a member of the public at 9:07am on Thursday, September 24.
Mr Magnanini was originally from Venice and had been living and working in south London.
According to Italian newspaper La Repubblica he was jailed for 18 months in 1998 over the 1993 theft of a painting, The Education of the Virgin, by 18th-century artist Giovanni Tiepolo from a church in Venice. The painting was reportedly worth two billion lire.
You may also want to watch:
He was last seen alive on Tuesday, 22 September as he travelled into central London on public transport. It is thought he visited the Euston area at around 16.50 before travelling to Kings Cross and Caledonian Road around 18.50.
Sebastiano Magnanini was described as being 6ft 1in tall with short brown hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing black jeans, a blue hooded top with a zip down the front and a dark-coloured t-shirt. He was wearing the same outfit when he was discovered in the canal.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 8 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
A post-mortem examination took place at the Whittington Hospital on Friday, September 25, and the cause of death is unknown at this early stage. Further toxicology tests are now underway.
Sebastiano Magnanini’s family, in Venice, Italy, has been informed.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact police via the incident room on 020 8721 4868, alternatively, the police non-emergency line on 101 or to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.