Two female Islington police officers sacked in latest race rumble
Two women police officers have been sacked for making racist comments in the latest race scandal to rock the borough’s force.
A Pc and a special constable were dismissed last week after using racist language during a conversation in the locker room at Islington Police Station, in Tolpuddle Street, Islington.
Allegations against the pair were raised internally and the Met carried out an investigation before sacking them both on August 28.
It’s the latest in a series of racist incidents involving Islington police.
In March a Pc was suspended and another member of staff resigned after allegedly making racist comments while on duty.
You may also want to watch:
A subsequent investigation by the Gazette revealed 31 other complaints of racism made against Islington officers between January 2009 and March this year.
Speaking about the latest incident, Islington’s new borough commander Gerry Campbell said: “I expect very high standards of professionalism and service delivery from all police officers and staff on my command.
- 1 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 10 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
“I will not tolerate any racist conduct or any other form of discriminatory behaviour for that matter.
“Action will be taken against those that portray such unacceptable behaviour.
“I am pleased this particular allegation was reported by another officer and was immediately acted upon.
“The vast majority of our officers and staff within the Met are extremely professional and committed to keeping Londoners and visitors safe.
“I see clear evidence of this in Islington every day where your local police officers and police staff members are committed to providing an excellent service and making Islington the safest borough in London. There is no place in the Met Police for racist police officers or staff.”