UK’s first Twerking Championships take place in Kings Cross tomorrow
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Twerkers across London will make their way to Kings Cross tomorrow for the UK’s first ever Championships.
Contestants will twist and jerk for a chance to win a £200 cash prize in the individual competition and £400 for duos.
The dance off is being run by Hip hop media company Jump-Off TV at Scala in Pentonville Road.
The Twerking phenomenon, which involves shaking your hips in an up and down bouncing motion, went viral after pop superstar Miley Cirus’s controversial and provocative performance at the MTV Video Music Awards in August.
The word was even added to the Oxford English Dictionary three days after the performance and ran “selfie” close in the same institution’s Word of the Year competition.
You may also want to watch:
The UK Twerking Championships run from 8pm-11pm with the twerking continuing at the after party which finishes at 3am.
Tickets cost £12 in advance and £20 for the VIP and balcony area. Go to www.scala-london.co.uk/scala/event.php?id=2227 for more on tickets and how to enter.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails