UK’s first Twerking Championships take place in Kings Cross tomorrow
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Twerkers across London will make their way to Kings Cross tomorrow for the UK’s first ever Championships.
Contestants will twist and jerk for a chance to win a £200 cash prize in the individual competition and £400 for duos.
The dance off is being run by Hip hop media company Jump-Off TV at Scala in Pentonville Road.
The Twerking phenomenon, which involves shaking your hips in an up and down bouncing motion, went viral after pop superstar Miley Cirus’s controversial and provocative performance at the MTV Video Music Awards in August.
The word was even added to the Oxford English Dictionary three days after the performance and ran “selfie” close in the same institution’s Word of the Year competition.
You may also want to watch:
The UK Twerking Championships run from 8pm-11pm with the twerking continuing at the after party which finishes at 3am.
Tickets cost £12 in advance and £20 for the VIP and balcony area. Go to www.scala-london.co.uk/scala/event.php?id=2227 for more on tickets and how to enter.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'