Unai Emery – Arsenal can challenge Manchester City
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
New Arsenal head coach Unai Emery has been in bullish form on his first day in the job after chief executive Ivan Gazidis unveiled the 46-year-old Spaniard on Wednesday – insisting the North London giants can catch Manchester City next season.
Speaking at the Emirates after being awarded a three-year contract following his departure from PSG, where he coached for two years, the Basque insisted the North London giants could compete with Pep Guardiola’s Premier League champions next term – despite finishing a mammoth 37 points behind the table-toppers this month.
On a day that has been heralded as the start of a new era at the club following former manager Arsene Wenger leaving Arsenal after 22 years in charge, Emery confirmed that reeling in the Etihad billionaires will be his main target from August.
He said: “That is our objective [to catch City].
“Arsenal is a club with fantastic personality and identity and I believe and the club has shown me that they believe, it is about showing that personality and showing the stature of this football club.
You may also want to watch:
“What we want to do is not fear any team neither here in the Premier League or in Europe and our objective is to be among the best and to beat the best.
“That is the kind of thing I want to transmit, that desire to be better and I think that will lead us to improve in the Premier League and in Europe.”
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
The new Arsenal boss, by setting such an ambitious target on day one of his reign — reeling in Guardiola’s City – will be music to the ears of the club’s huge fanbase who have been divided under Wenger.
With many observers believing the players were indulged under the Frenchman, Emery insisted the squad he will inherit will be able to challenge for the title.
He added: “I believe in the players who are here, the objective is to work together, to work hard with this talent. The target is to be a candidate and to challenge for the title.
“It is very important for the club after two years outside the Champions League to work this way, to be the best club, the best team in the Premier League and also in the world.”