Unai Emery – his XI best quotes as he gears up to become Arsenal boss
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
With Arsenal set to announce the former PSG and Sevilla manager Unai Emery as the club’s new manager read on for his best quotes.
1) Emery on Arsene Wenger’s support for PSG in the Coupe de la Ligue final against Monaco in March
I would like to thank Arsene for his kind words – a true model in the world of football
2) Emery on signing Neymar for £198m
We have the opportunity to write a very beautiful story together
You may also want to watch:
3) On winning three Europa Leagues
The Champions League is nice, and we want to play in it, but you meet the very top teams in that competition and they overcome you. When you are in the Europa League, you know you can win it.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
4) On managing former Arsenal attacker Jose Antonio Reyes
When I came here the supporters said to me: “please don’t play Reyes.” I told him: “Jose, do you know what they’re saying about you?” We worked on it. And now every time he goes out at the Sanchez Pizjuan, the crowd are chanting: “Reyes! Reyes!”
5) Speaking to the Guardian’s Spanish football expert Sid Lowe in a revealing interview Emery said:
I live football as passion and emotion
6) Ahead of the 2016 Europa League Cup final he told Lowe:
My dad always said you have to value and respect the responsibility you’ve been given. When I coach, I take that responsibility seriously because I know people have trusted in me and there are thousands of supporters whose emotions are bound up in what we do
7) On his methodical nature in preparing for matches he explained:
For every game I might have spent 12 hours just on the video. Videos are very important. We work hard so that they have the best information and it has to be a good video: in an hour the players have to understand everything you’ve seen in 12
8) Emery telling Lowe about his love for football:
I always say: when I was 16, 18, I would go to school and I would have an hour of Latin, maths, history, philosophy, English, an hour of I don’t-know-what ... six hours. Here you come in and you have an hour of football ... an hour! Football! An hour of football, and you like football. So a video [is not too much to ask]
9) Emery to Lowe on winning:
When I arrived at Sevilla, the first thing they said to me was: ‘Unai, playing in the Champions League, like Valencia did with you, is lovely but you haven’t experienced what it is to win things,’
10) And more:
Now I have; I have felt it. And it is the greatest feeling there is, something really shared. We can’t be a super-top team because of budget. But if you can grow, it’s very gratifying. And joy comes from the ilusión, the hope, the dream, of winning a title.
11) Ahead of lifting the 2016 Europa League Emery added:
Football is about moments