Video: ‘End arms trade with Gaza’ says Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn
- Credit: Archant
Stop The War campaigner and Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn called for the government to halt the trading of arms with Israel in front of 150,000 protestors on Saturday.
He was speaking at a rally calling for an end to Israeli attacks on Palestine, which he said were destroying hundreds of thousands of lives.
Mr Corbyn spoke on a platform in Hyde Park where the protest ended alongside fellow MP George Galloway who ran on an anti-Israel campaign for his seat in Bradford in 2010.
A 72-hour ceasefire between the two sides was agreed on Sunday and talks towards ending the month-long war are said to be making progress with the ceasefire due to end today.
Closing his speech, Mr Corbyn said: “70 per cent unemployed, 2,000 dead, 500,000 homeless – it’s got to stop.
You may also want to watch:
“I demand our parliament is recalled, I demand we end arms trade with Gaza, I demand our government do something in support of the UN war crimes investigation and in conclusion I say this to you:
“Gaza is a place of history, a place of culture, a place of values, a place of hope. Our message today is one of solidarity.”
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'