Volunteers needed for Islington canal clean-up
Volunteers are needed this Saturday to help clean up the City Road Lock in Islington ahead of the Angel Canal Festival.
A tidy group from British Waterways is looking for helpers to cut back vegetation, pick up litter and paint lock gates.
The annual festival takes place on Sunday September 4 around City Road Lock on the Regent’s Canal.
Team leader Rebecca Williams said: “Thousands of people enjoy the Angel Canal Festival each year so we want to make sure we can support the festival and help get the canal and towpath ready for the event.”
Her volunteer group meets monthly to supplement the regular maintenance work carried out by British Waterways.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Volunteering is a good way to get to know the canal better, keep active and meet new people.”
Saturday’s clean up sessions run from 10am to 12.30pm and 1.30 to 4.30pm. Volunteers should meet at the start of each session outside Angel tube station.
- 1 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 2 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 3 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 4 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 5 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 6 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 7 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 8 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 9 St George's Day, Partners Islington, LTNs and Local Plan policy
- 10 Sharks and rooftop pavilions: Time for planning laws 'middle way'
For further information contact Rebecca on 07799 436816.