Volunteers needed for Islington canal clean-up
Volunteers are needed this Saturday to help clean up the City Road Lock in Islington ahead of the Angel Canal Festival.
A tidy group from British Waterways is looking for helpers to cut back vegetation, pick up litter and paint lock gates.
The annual festival takes place on Sunday September 4 around City Road Lock on the Regent’s Canal.
Team leader Rebecca Williams said: “Thousands of people enjoy the Angel Canal Festival each year so we want to make sure we can support the festival and help get the canal and towpath ready for the event.”
Her volunteer group meets monthly to supplement the regular maintenance work carried out by British Waterways.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Volunteering is a good way to get to know the canal better, keep active and meet new people.”
Saturday’s clean up sessions run from 10am to 12.30pm and 1.30 to 4.30pm. Volunteers should meet at the start of each session outside Angel tube station.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
For further information contact Rebecca on 07799 436816.