Vote for your community’s unsung hero! Nominations open for Islington’s Mayor’s Civic Awards 2020
- Credit: Archant
Nominations are now open for the 2020 Mayor’s Civic Awards, which honour the unsung heroes making a difference in their communities.
Each year Islington Council celebrates the huge contributions of those whose tireless work to change the lives of others can often go unnoticed.
The Mayor's Civic Award Scheme acknowledges volunteers, campaigners and fundraisers, and the Ben Kinsella Award, given in memory of Ben Kinsella and sponsored by the Gazette, is a special youth award that recognises the contribution of an inspiring young person.
That award is open to under 18s who go above and beyond, whether in volunteering, sports, music, campaigning or any other area.
Islington mayor Cllr Rakhia Ismail said: "Everyone knows someone that goes the extra mile to help out their neighbours, friends or community.
You may also want to watch:
"Whether they are a volunteer for a local or national organisation or charity, or simply just quietly get on with helping their community on their own you can make sure they get the recognition they deserve by nominating them for a Civic award or the Ben Kinsella Award.
"I am really looking forward to meeting and thanking the award winners for all their hard work and the difference they make to our community."
Anyone who would like to nominate someone to receive either a Civic Award or the Ben Kinsella Award can do so here. The closing date for nominations is January 24.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
Award winners will be announced on March 12 at a ceremony in Islington's Assembly Hall. Cllr Ismail will present those honoured with a framed certificate.