Wacky Islington racers to cross India on rickshaw
AN Islington couple are preparing to race over 3,000 miles across India and Nepal in a rickshaw.
Social worker Michelle Larn, 33, and her graphic designer boyfriend Jack Freeman, 26, who live together in White Lion Street, Islington, will be joined by their geo-engineer friend Ian Macdonald, 35, for the charity mission across the subcontinent.
The trio are taking part in the Rickshaw Run, an overland adventure race from Shillong in north east India to Rajasthan in the north west in September.
Ms Larn said: “We’re excited but a bit nervous. It’s a bit different but it looks great fun. My mum thinks I’m a bit mad.”
They are hoping to kickstart their fundraising activities by asking Islington businesses to donate raffle prizes for upcoming events.
You may also want to watch:
They will be given their rickshaw on arrival in Shillong and will have two weeks to make it to the destination over 3,000 miles away.
“It’s such a tough task, we need to be really, really prepared,” Michelle added.
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 4 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 5 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 6 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 7 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
- 8 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 9 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
- 10 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
The route crosses mountains and deserts, but there is no support, so Michelle is learning Hindi and all three are on a mechanics course.
Their fundraising target is over �1000 which will go to Frank, a water charity and LOROS, a Leicestershire hospice.
LOROS is a charity close to Michelle’s heart as they looked after her aunt before she died.
At the end of the two weeks, the Rickshaw will be donated to a local Indian family to provide them with the opportunity in starting their own business.
- To donate visit www.justgiving.com/baltitowers.